Skip to main content

Part 5: Leveling up: Mind Management

In our final installment of Leveling Up, we’re going to focus on your biggest critic, your worst enemy, and the entity we can control but instead we usually let it run the show: your own brain. Your own mind is the voice you hear every waking second of your life, and yet most of us do little if anything to try to rein that beast in to work for us. Instead, we let it run wild and free to create whatever chaos and destruction it likes – or really, just anything it likes at all! This is similar to letting a toddler run amok in your house all day simply because it’s easier than trying to gain control. Sound like a mess? Let’s grab that screaming, tantrum-throwing toddler (your brain) by the scruff of the neck and take control.

How do you do that – just take control of your brain? First, we need to start listening to our brain. What is it saying or telling us all day long? Is it sending positive messages, negative messages, or a lovely incongruous mix of both? You can find out by taking notes throughout the day as you hear the messages your brain is sending (this active listening to your brain takes practice, grasshopper, so be patient with yourself). There are so many stories your brain tells you all day long. Some examples might include:

·         I always have a hard time getting out of bed in the mornings.
·         I’m not a morning person.
·         I must have coffee to function (this may be true if you’re addicted, however coffee addictions aren’t that hard to break).
·         I’m always late for everything.
·         I’m a terrible driver.
·         I’m always busy.
·         I’m overwhelmed.

The list could go on and on, but these are all literally just stories your brain is telling you. There is no reason to let your out-of-control toddler of a brain define you! How can we lasso this lunatic? Once you’ve recognized the messages your brain is sending (the hard part), the next part is simple: just replace your brain’s stories with the truth.

·         I always have a hard time getting out of bed in the mornings. Getting out of bed wasn’t easy this morning because I stayed up late last night, but I usually get right out of bed with the alarm clock in the morning.
·         I’m not a morning person. I find that I enjoy quiet time first thing in the morning so I can gather my thoughts and plan my day.
·         I must have coffee to function (this may be true if you’re addicted, however coffee addictions aren’t that hard to break). I don’t need any drug to have a great day, but I do enjoy a nice hot cup of coffee in the morning.
·         I’m always late for everything. There are times when I don’t plan well or last-minute things come up, but I typically try to be on time or early for scheduled appointments because I respect both my time and others’ time.
·         I’m a terrible driver. I make mistakes like any other human, but I try to be the best and safest driver I can be.
·         I’m always busy. I’m happy to have a lot of positive activity in my life and I know that if I overschedule myself I have the power to change the schedule.
·         I’m overwhelmed. I have overscheduled myself, but I have the power to change my schedule.

These are only examples and yours could be very different, however you can see that once you recognize the stories your brain is telling you changing those stories is a piece of cake (although changing the stories does take persistence).

What’s the best thing you get from taking control of your brain? Freedom. Freedom from the chaos your toddler-brain creates for you when you’re not paying attention. Freedom from the negativity your brain can create for you. Freedom from the poor self-image your brain tends to create. And peace.

I wish for freedom and peace for each of you! Have you had your own experience wrangling your brain? I can’t wait to hear all about it!

Kelley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sabotage

Next week, we’ll be talking about ways we sabotage ourselves: our relationships, our grades in school, our careers, and our well-being. Whether sabotage is your story or you see it more in others, come take a closer look with us and share your experiences. Kelley

Part 4: Leveling Up: The World Revolves Around You

Has anyone (your parents perhaps?) ever told you that the world doesn’t revolve around you? What your parents are/were probably trying to convey is that you need to pitch in and help around the house (or just clean up your room). If a friend has ever said this to you, they may have been trying to point out that you only do things you want to do (never doing anything anyone else wants to do) or that you’re not spending enough quality time with them. Both your parents and your friends, in this case, have valid points. But let’s take a look at the bigger picture: the world (your world) literally does revolve around you. You are the captain of your own ship, the director of your own movie, and the star of your own show. The choices you make, the way you choose to spend your resources (time, energy, money), and your attitudes about life drive your story – and only your story. You are the only person you can control so you need to use that authority to make your world into the world

How Can I Get an A in Your Class?

The Huffington Post published an article a few years back giving college students some ideas about things they might want to ask their professors and also topics from which they probably want to steer clear. Today’s question that you might want to ask your instructor: how can I get an A in your class? There are so many things to talk about when answering this question, so I’ll be as brief as possible while trying to hit all the highlights! ·          Show up! Coming to class is the first step in success, and if you’re in an online class, this means logging in at least 4-5 times per week and participating in the discussion forums. There is so much to be gained by simply showing up! ·          Be prepared! You must have the essentials: paper, pencil, computer, internet, textbook. None of these is optional. If aren’t going to have the required course materials, don’t bother signing up for classes. ·          Participate! Showing up to class is the first step, but if you